Atlanta Sexual Assault Attorneys
Our attorneys provide the strong legal defense needed to protect yourself against potentially harsh criminal penalties.
Sexually based crimes are a serious matter in Georgia. Between the potentially harsh criminal penalties you face and the public outcry surrounding these cases, it is important to get our Atlanta sexual assault attorneys on your side immediately if you have been charged. At Ghanayem & Rayasam, our nationally recognized, award winning legal team provides the trusted guidance and professional representation you need during a time like this. With decades of experience defending people in similar situations, we can protect your rights while taking the steps needed to avoid a conviction.
Sexual Assault Charges in Georgia
Accusations regarding any type of sex crime in Georgia need to be taken seriously. These crimes have a strong stigma associated with them. In addition to facing aggressive prosecution and an unsympathetic jury at trial, you are likely to experience doubts and scorn from family, friends, employers, co-workers, and the community at large.
Sex crime allegations, particularly those involving sexual assault, can ruin your reputation permanently. It is important to get our experienced Atlanta criminal defense attorneys on your side the minute you are charged or named as a suspect. Under Section 16-6-5.1 of the Georgia Code, sexual assault is defined as any type of inappropriate sexual contact by a person who has supervising or leadership authority over the alleged victim. At Ghanayem & Rayasam, we fight to defend people in a variety of positions who are facing these types of charges. This includes:
● Teachers, coaches, and other school officials;
● Law enforcement officials and workers with the Department of Juvenile Justice, Parole, and community supervision program employees;
● Doctors, nurses, home health care workers, or other medical and hospital staff members or administrative employees;
● Therapists, advisors, group home staff, and other people who perform counseling services.
Defending You Against Penalties for Atlanta Sexual Assault Crimes
Sexual assault in Georgia is generally classified as a felony offense. Penalties you face depend on the circumstances involved and include:
● If the incident occurs between two underage individuals and the person accused of the crime is less than four years older that the victim: This is generally charged as a misdemeanor crime, resulting in fines, court costs, and up to a one-year jail sentence.
● If the alleged perpetrator and victim are over the age of 16: This is a felony offense. Penalties include fines of up to $100,000 and a prison sentence of between one and 25 years.
● If the accused is an adult and the victim is under 16: Felony penalties include a prison sentence of up to 50 years.
In addition to these penalties, your name may also be placed on the Georgia Sex Offenders registry. This could impact your rights in family court matters and prevent you from obtaining work or housing.
Contact Our Atlanta Sexual Assault Attorneys
At Ghanayem & Rayasam , we help people facing sexual assault charges avoid the penalties associated with a conviction. To discuss the options in your case, contact our Atlanta criminal defense attorneys to request a consultation today.