Atlanta Forgery Charge Attorneys
Our Atlanta criminal defense attorneys provide you with a strong legal defense against forgery charges in Georgia.
Forgery crimes are a serious matter in Georgia. In addition to the potential criminal penalties you face, they can have a devastating effect on your reputation and your ability to obtain work, get a loan, or even apply for certain government benefits. At Ghanayem & Rayasam, we provide the aggressive legal representation you need in these situations to clear your name. As award winning, nationally recognized Atlanta criminal defense attorneys, you can trust us to devise a strong legal strategy to help prevent a criminal conviction.
Facing Forgery Charges in Atlanta
Forgery involves the attempt to defraud others, generally through falsified documents. This includes using someone’s signature or other identifying information to gain access to private accounts or otherwise attempting to trick or deceive an individual, business, or the general public for your own financial gain, such as making counterfeit money or selling counterfeit tickets.
Under Section 16-9-1 of the Georgia Code , there are varying degrees of forgery, depending on the circumstances involved in your case. These include:
● Forgery in the first degree, which involves knowingly making, altering, or possessing any writing, other than a check, that is altered or in a fictitious name so that it appears to be made by another person and using it for your own gain.
● Forgery in the second degree, which involves making, altering, or possessing an altered document or one in a fictitious name, regardless of whether you actually used it or not.
● Forgery in the third degree, which involves making, altering, possessing, or delivering a fraudulent check in the amount of $1,500 or above or possessing more than 10 fraudulent checks.
● Forgery in the fourth degree, which involves fraudulent checks less than $1,500.
Depending on the type of forgery you are charged with, you could be facing a felony conviction which carries a potential jail sentence of up to 15 years. Even for a felony in the fourth degree, which is generally a misdemeanor crime, a conviction will remain on your criminal record. To prevent serious penalties and a criminal record that will follow you the rest of your life, get our experienced Atlanta forgery defense attorneys at Ghanayem & Rayasam on your side.
Aggressive Representation from an Experienced Atlanta Forgery Defense Attorney
When charged with forgery in Atlanta, you may be immediately placed under arrest and held until a first appearance hearing in the Fulton County Superior Court . Before making any statements or accepting any pleas, it is important to contact Ghanayem & Rayasam right away. We can take the actions needed to defend you in your case, which include:
● Reviewing the circumstances surrounding your arrest;
● Arranging for bond, so you can participate in your own defense;
● Negotiating to have your charges dropped or reduced;
● Gathering the evidence needed to clear your name.
When it comes to protecting your freedom and your future, do not take any chances. Contact our Atlanta forgery attorneys at Ghanayem & Rayasam and request a consultation to discuss the options in your case today.